Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller, #2)The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I don't usually read legal thrillers - it is too much like extended hours at work. Friends and family love them and recommend them to me regularly. If the premise is interesting, or I trust the person recommending it, then I will relent. My father-in-law, who reads more than most, said he guaranteed I would like this book. That made it worth a try. He was right, I did like it a lot.

This is a classic redemption plot. We start out with a lawyer who has taken himself out of the practice of law because of personal problems. He is a criminal defense lawyer and has a famous lawyer father's shoes to fill. He hasn't had a case in a year. All of that changes when he inherits a successful practice from another recently murdered lawyer.

The lawyer, the police, and the villians (some known and others discovered along the way)are all well developed. The plot takes many twists and turns along the way as the mysteries of the former lawyer's murder, the high profile client with an upcoming murder trial, and his own personal demons are dealt with. Very enjoyable read - even if it still felt a little like being at the office.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment