Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire HunterAbraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Historical paranormal fiction. That is the only way I've found to describe this book. I Googled that and can't really tell if it is an official genre. Abraham Lincoln's secret life as a vampire hunter is enough of an intriguing premise to get me to pick up the book. Seth Grahame-Smith's storytelling skill keeps you reading until the end.

Many of the characters and events in the book are pulled directly from the actual history of Lincoln. Some historical facts are twisted slightly to serve the purpose of telling the underlying story of vampire hunting. Most people know the basic story of Abraham Lincoln and that makes him familiar and comforting as he discusses the outlandish adventure of ridding the United States of vampires.

The pacing of the book was fantastic. The story moves along with plenty of action as Lincoln moves through his childhood, life as a young man, life as a young politician, and as the President of the United States. Seth Grahame-Smith's backlist includes Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. I probably wouldn't have picked that up, but based on this book I'll probably give it a try.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've never been able to bring myself to read this genre. My daughter has the Pride and Prejudice one somewhere around here. You've convinced me to at least give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte - A friend of mine, that I trust, said that she was not that impressed with Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. I can't speak to that novel, but I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete