Friday, May 6, 2011

My Own Worst Enemy!

I have often thought that the thing standing in the way of what I want is me.  As the blog states, I have two obsessions (food and fiction).  These happen to be my two most ardent weaknesses as well.  My wife is currently reading a book called Potatoes not Prozac.  A small battery of tests last night has convinced me I am "sugar sensitive", which is a nice way of saying I'm a junk food addict.  I wage war each day against my own appetite to avoid a host of diet related diseases and the other harms of poor diet.

My fiction weakness is the opposite problem.  While I can't get enough sweets I can always find something other than writing the fiction I so desire.  I want to write novel length fiction to show that I can do it and because I would love to have a novel, no matter how amateur, associated with my name.  Despite this strong desire I sometimes need to be forced into my office to move my story forward.  My fear of failure or the task at hand often halts my progress. 

The best antidote for my self-destructive behavior resides with my wife who pushes me when necessary and my children who help me remember that life is not something to be taken too seriously.  I am thankful each day for family.      

No comments:

Post a Comment