Saturday, May 21, 2011

Slump 101

We all have slumps and I'm having one.  Life fell out of orbit a few days ago.  I stopped writing daily because I didn't know what to write next.  I hit a wall and rather than pull out the sledgehammer and start swinging I walked away. 
I started sleeping longer, eating more than I should, skipping the gym, and generally fell apart.  Why?  I figured it out while golfing yesterday.  
Golf has a huge mental component to it.  I'm still new to the game and am trying to break 100 this year.  I was playing well yesterday and then my game went south.  I decided I wasn't breaking 100 today and gave up trying thinking that would help me relax.  Did my game improve?  Nope.  It got worse.   I still needed to finish so I pressed forward.  
After a couple more bad holes my game improved for no reason I could figure out.  The last hole is a par 5 and I am at 95.  I'm not good enough to ace a hole and get under 100, so that's not how this story ends.  I got 101, but that's the closest I've ever come to my goal.
I didn't need to take a break and rest or let my mind clear - I needed to keep playing.   I start my writing ritual of 1000 words a day again today and NO MORE BREAKS until I finish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment